Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

SmartSilver » How SmartSilver Works

How SmartSilver Works

Bacteria, mold, mildew, and fungus like to grow in moist or humid conditions - the same conditions that activate SmartSilver antimicrobial additives.

When products infused with SmartSilver additives come into contact with moisture, they release very low levels of silver ions that prevent the growth of microbes that cause odor and material degradation. This same mode of action is responsible for the antimicrobial properties of silver coins and spoons.

Silver ions have been demonstrated to interact with a variety of bacterial components such as those required for respiration, replication, and protection. All bacteria use enzymes in order to metabolize nutrients and create energy, much the same way humans metabolize food. Silver ions disrupt these bacterial enzymes and stop energy metabolism and electrolyte transport, thereby effectively suffocating the bacteria. Silver ions also slow the processes required for the bacteria to replicate. Additionally, silver binds with components of the bacterial cell wall, the layers of which provide protection and structure to the cell. The ions create structural imperfections within these layers, resulting in the collapse or burst of the bacteria.

How SmartSilver Works

Because silver ions disrupt three pathways (respiration, replication, and cell wall synthesis) within the bacteria (thus making it much more difficult for the bacteria to devise an effective defense), silver is much less likely to promote the development of resistant bacteria than traditional antibiotics that typically target only one of these pathways. Antimicrobial silver has been used extensively in hospitals for decades with no clinically relevant cases of antibiotic resistance.

Independent testing has shown that the SmartSilver particles remain embedded within a product, whereas other antimicrobial technologies have uncontrolled release of silver. SmartSilver additives are designed to permanently attach to the carrier material so the particles stay tightly bound. Regardless, skin exposure to silver and silver particles is not a concern as silver is non-toxic and hypoallergenic.

Document Actions